Sunday, August 10, 2014

Books and Music

On the Facebook AOSA (American Orff Schulwerk Association) page I noticed a lot of chatter about children's literature and music... sometime this week I am going to put a much larger post out here about how I organize and cross reference books and skills (yes, I keep a document.. necessary evil) with grade levels.  It really helps; took a bit of time to do, but it is oh so helpful.  One thing to get started.. take all your books you use and the lesson you have developed or the one from that fabulous workshop you went to last year, photocopy it and make an envelope that will fit on the inside cover of your book.  Use packing tape to tape the envelope to the inside cover or, if your lesson is small enough, tape it directly to the cover.  If using an envelope, fold your photocopied lesson and tuck it in the envelope; now you always have the lesson and the book together! 
I also keep the books on my bookshelf in the section labeled, "Book with Music Activities".  For the books I use with Artie Almeida's "Mallet Madness", I have a separate section with that title so I know where these books are.  I also have books that are songs and these are organized alphabetically.  Halloween/Fall books are by themselves and labeled accordingly, as are Winter/Christmas/Hanukkah (oh and check out Hanukkah Hop! GREAT book), and "Books About Music".  I have found this system works sooo much better. 
Several to buy AND are great with subs; I record myself singing them and put a CD in the front inside cover.. they each take about 6-7 minutes to sing.  I also have some where I have students use UPP and after each number they play that number on their instruments then rotate.. great for a sub!  I also love the illustrations on Over in the Jungle and Over in the Ocean- these aren't your typical paintings, kids!  The artist used polymer clay.. the colors and details are simply amazing!




4 comments:

  1. I have the Hanukkah Hop! How do you use it in music class? I love the book, but wasn't sure how to incorporate it with music other than world holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it and then we create word chains with Hanukkah themed words and use it as a "B" section to "Haida" song. We complete the class by dancing a Hora or another Hebrew folk song.

      Delete
  2. Hello friends
    Your music theme is realistic and engaging. I always watch music events around the world. Do I have music for myself and my phone? How about you? You can refer and leave comments for my music at this site: https://ringtonedownload.in/

    Here are my top 5 songs that you can install quickly:

    - Bam Bam Bole Kaashi ringtone download
    - Super Khiladi 4 ringtone download
    - Dil Meri Na Sune ringtone download
    - Download Daru Laina Pee ringtone download
    - Jitni Dafa Dekhun Tumhe Parmanu ringtone download

    Your comments will improve my music. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete

Submitted comments will be posted after approval.