Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Three Things I've Learned This Summer

 
I'm joining Aileen Miracle in a linky party sharing three things we've learned this summer.  It's been a busy one for me!  School starts in a week and a half; meetings for a full week; yup, you read that correctly!  I know most teachers have a few days of meetings, we have meetings, lunches, and dedicated time in our classroom for 5 full days! Of course, most everyone is in their classrooms the weekend before this week because we have new student orientation that Friday before students return to classes August 17th!  Phew! All this leaves me asking the questions, "Where did the summer go and what did I learn?"  Here goes:
1.  I need my summer time. 
No, not just "want" my summer, but I need the time to refresh, recharge, listen to great music, find new lessons, regroup, reflect, and PLAN!  After school was out (4 days of planning/meetings after students were out), we were home for a week, then off to Maine for 2 weeks.  I am a Mainer, or Maineiac; from Maine! I love the ocean, and find nothing more relaxing and spiritually uplifting than to sit by the sea.  I also kayak with my Dad and get to visit family.  OH, and then there's the lobster! YUM!  My daughter and husband also love seafood and hunting for sea glass and driftwood is a family affair! 



We were home 2 weeks then my daughter and I went for a girls week with friends (our girls are both adopted from China and are 8 months apart) at the beach.  Our fourth year.  Which leads me to .....
 
2.  It is incredibly important for me to reconnect with family and friends near and far. 
While in Maine I reconnected with many friends and spent a lot of time with family, including 2 of my 32 cousins who I hadn't seen in 20 years!  I also was able to reconnect with some friends we made in China, which was wonderful, and to see how their family has blossomed; they have adopted 6 children from China!!  I also love spending time with my husband and my girlie.  She's 7.5 and I am really in denial that she will soon be 8! I decided this was the summer to teacher her to sew; we've done little projects before, but nothing meaningful.  We are building a new house and she is going to be getting a queen size bed; needs it to fit all her animals!! So, time for a new bedspread! Here she is sewing her quilt! 
 
3.  I have so many things to do this year!!
With the publishing of my first book, Hands to Hands, Clapping Songs and Games from Around the World, some other things went by the wayside, like my usual crazy planning and big projects!  One thing I have wanted to do for a very long time is to create a song index much along  the lines of Aileen Miracle's.  She has a GREAT tutorial you can see below! 
 
 
 
 
I have another project I began last school year; I'm creating an index of books that I use with music and the grade level and concept or skill area to be taught.  I am really excited about this as it will simplify using books in my classroom as I will be able to cross reference "quarter note" and find all the books I can use that teach/reinforce that concept.  I feel so incredibly blessed to have my summers, and to be returning to an amazing school that I love.  This is my 18th year there and I love our community! 
Hope you've had a summer full of learning!
What are you ready for this school year?

5 comments:

  1. I had so much fun reading your post! AND I'm super excited about your book, which I just purchased! Thanks so much for the shout out with my video, for linking up, and for your expertise with your book. Looking forward to digging in! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aileen- thanks so very much! Isn't it fun to "get to know each other" via blog land! THANKS so very much for purchasing the book! Volume II is coming soon.. more American ones! Have a wonderful start to your school year!

      Delete
  2. How sweet! I bet the quilt will be beautiful! My daughter loves to help me sew, paint, craft, and cook! She is 5 and will be starting kindergarten this year! I can't wait to see her in music class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughters first year at my school was fun also.... Although she wanted to sit on my lap for the first 6 months or so of music ...,haha!! Arent little girls fun? I love the helping out.... Growing too fast, though. *sniff sniff* but tremendous blessings!!

      Delete
    2. My daughters first year at my school was fun also.... Although she wanted to sit on my lap for the first 6 months or so of music ...,haha!! Arent little girls fun? I love the helping out.... Growing too fast, though. *sniff sniff* but tremendous blessings!!

      Delete

Submitted comments will be posted after approval.