1. I Love the MountainsMy students love this song and I was lucky enough to find a big book of it from Scholastic several years ago, with additional words including famous American landmarks such as Lady Liberty, Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon, and Mount Rushmore among others. I don't think it is available any longer, but this book is available from Amazon:
This is a link to the sheet music from Beth's Notes.
Here is a link to the song, with instrumental and vocal sound clips.
2. Crazy MooseI am a proud Maineiac, meaning I am originally from Maine, home to the beginning or end of the Appalachian Trail. Beginning or end depending on when you start and if you through-hike the AT which can take many moons to complete! I now live in NC, another AT site! While taking a hike, in bear country, particularly in warmer months, it can be important to make a little noise to let the bears know there are people near by. Singing songs also helps keep everyone hiking together, especially up those steeper parts of the trail. "Neat-o repeat-o songs" are great for kids unfamiliar with camp songs and this one is perfect!
3. AlligatorYup, this is the "lakes" part of our theme today. Alligators can be found in marshes, wetlands, rivers, ponds and, you guessed it, lakes! Another "Neat-o Repeat-O" song, this one is so funny! To truly understand, you have to watch it:
Here is the music and the version I learned (slightly different than the video):
Oh- and by the way, my third graders loved to play this on recorder- just make the low A into a high one.
4. The Other Day I Met a Bear
Perfect song for hiking!
5. For other camp songs, check out this previous post!
Hope you enjoyed your mini-vacation! What other camp songs do you sing with your kiddos?