Friday, August 28, 2015

Thump, Quack, Moo book and lesson

Getting back to school I am always reminded how LOOOOONG summer break is; kids seem to have forgotten so many of the concepts and skills we worked on last year!  Yesterday with my first graders I thought we should review beat so I used a lesson I have used before but tweaked it a whole lot!  We made it into a rotation so everyone was able to play drums, shaker eggs, and wood instruments.  You will also see how I keep these areas separate in the classroom.. I love my stretchy bands and made them from white nylon cast-offs that I dyed, cut, and flipped into knots!  I use them a lot to create borders in my room for areas that are "off limits" until it is time, or for organizing groups of players. Next class I will review quarter and eighth notes with another activity but for today, here is a lesson using the book, Thump, Quack, Moo to reinforce quarter notes and beat:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Submitted comments will be posted after approval.